Brushing your teeth—it’s likely the first thing you do when you wake up and the last thing you do before you go to bed at night. But are you doing it properly and with the right tools? While most of us learn to brush our teeth at an early age, it is an oral hygiene function that most don’t think about too frequently. However, since brushing your teeth is the first step to maintaining healthy teeth and gums, it’s certainly worth a refresher.1
Brushing Your Teeth 101
It’s time to give brushing your teeth another thought. Here are some important reminders to help ensure you are brushing your teeth properly.
- Are you brushing your teeth for at least two minutes?
- Do you remember to brush your teeth after every meal?
- Do you reach all surfaces when brushing your teeth?
- Did you know that brushing your tongue is an important step in your overall oral hygiene?
- Do you follow brushing your teeth with flossing and rinsing with an antiseptic rinse?
If you answered “no” to any of these questions, you may need to focus a bit more effort on brushing your teeth. Once you follow all these recommendations, it’s time to focus on the tools you use when brushing your teeth.
Brushing Your Teeth: Tool Selection
Of equal importance to brushing your teeth is the decision of what to brush with. Since there are so many products available, this decision can get overwhelming. Here are some tips to help you decide what tools to use for brushing your teeth.
- Toothbrush: Select a powerful and effective toothbrush for brushing your teeth. There are many varieties available, from electric to traditional, to soft and medium bristles and more. Most dental professionals recommend using a soft-bristled toothbrush to avoid harming your gums while brushing your teeth.2 If you are looking for a great, relatively inexpensive solution for good oral health, the Oral-B Pulsar Pro-Health Toothbrush cleans teeth, stimulates your gums, and breaks up plaque.
- Toothpaste: Again, there are so many options available that it can be challenging to make a good product selection. Can’t decide if you want to remove plaque, fight gingivitis or whiten your smile? Fortunately, you don’t have to decide. Crest Pro-Health Toothpaste provides seven important benefits, including fighting cavities, plaque, tartar, sensitivity, and gingivitis, while also whitening teeth and freshening breath. Still overwhelmed? One great option to consider when brushing your teeth is to employ a comprehensive oral hygiene regimen. Pick up the Crest Pro-Health Regimen for brushing your teeth, and take comfort in knowing all the products work well together and can provide an effective method for brushing your teeth and caring for your overall oral health.
Don’t underestimate the importance of brushing your teeth. While brushing your teeth is most effective when accompanied by a comprehensive routine, if you are short on time simply focus on brushing your teeth regularly and effectively. This will help ensure that you keep your teeth and mouth healthy, and will help prevent dental problems in the future.