Oral Care Sustainability
Oral Care Sustainability
Healthier Smiles for All
Crest and Oral-B believe a smile is worth the world and that all Canadians deserve healthy smiles. However, tooth decay continues to be a major issue in Canada. This issue is more pronounced in underserved communities, where vulnerable children have a higher rate of tooth decay but are less likely to see a dentist.
That’s why Crest and Oral-B are committed to ensuring that every single smile in Canada is healthy.The brands aspire to enable all Canadians to have access to our superior oral care products, services and education while also reducing the impact on our planet. Crest and Oral-B have been working for over 60 years to support healthy oral care habits and we won’t stop until we’ve unleashed healthy smiles all across the Canada.
Oral Health Crisis in Canada*
Oral diseases frequently start in the preschool years of most children.
Children from lower-income families experience 2.5X more tooth decay.
It is estimated that 2.26 million school-days are lost annually due to oral health issues.
32% of Canadians do not have dental insurance.
Our Path Forward to Keep Smiles Healthy
We believe every smile is priceless. That’s why we are focused on three core areas that will enable Crest and Oral-B to make progress toward the goal of healthier smiles for people and the planet:
Ensure that everyone has access to oral care products and services.
- Oral-B has partnered with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada to launch a new collaborative program that continues to provide dental care support to vulnerable children.
- In January 2021 alone, Oral-B successfully donated 1000 power toothbrushes and educational booklets to BBBS of Canada to help vulnerable children.
- Oral-B and BBBS partnership program aims to deliver oral care tools and oral hygiene educational materials for children and support Big Brother Big Sisters Mentors to further improve oral health for mentees.
Oral Care Education
Provide education and resources on proper oral care habits and how oral care impacts a person’s overall health.
- Crest and Oral-B work with thousands of dental professionals across all of Canada to provide tools and resources that educate patients on healthy at-home habits and promote understanding on the connection between oral care and overall health.
- A CE library provided exclusively by P&G’s rest and Oral-B brands offers several continuing dental education courses for free to aspiring Canadian dental professionals.
- Crest and Oral-B educate kids on healthy habits and provide educational materials that make it easy for dental professionals, parents, and teachers to educate their kids about the importance of oral care.
- Oral-B’s free Disney Magic Timer App helps establish healthy habits by helping 90% of kids brush for longer.
Sustainability: Better Outcomes for People & the planet
Crest and Oral-B have strived to provide Canadians with superior products that deliver better oral health results for over 60 years. Oral-B is the No. 1 dentist-recommended toothbrush brand worldwide and is one of the first electric toothbrush brands to be accepted by the Canadian Dental Association, demonstrating the highest standards of safety and efficacy.
Responsible manufacturing, sourcing & transparency:
- Crest and Oral-B continue to strive for 100% renewable electricity across Canadian manufacturing plants to send zero manufacturing waste to landfills.
- The goal of more localized manufacturing in Canada will help to reduce overall logistics-based emissions while providing more oral care products to the Canadian market.
Reshaping the lifecycle of our products:
Crest and Oral-B have partnered with Terracycle as an alternative recycling program, to make it easy for consumers to give their used products new life—the first oral care recycling program in Canada!
Oral-B Clic manual toothbrush uses 60% less plastic. Fast Company chose Clic as a winner of its 2020 Innovation by Design Awards in the sustainability category.
Crest is converting to recyclable HDPE toothpaste tubes in Canada and will continue until full conversion of 100% recyclable toothpaste tubes by 2025.
Crest and Oral-B are adding How2Recycle labels on selected product packaging to encourage and inform consumers how to properly recycle product packaging.
Crest and Oral-B’s commitments in Canada support P&G’s global oral care goal of educating and enabling 2 billion people to adopt healthy oral care habits by 2030. Healthy Smiles. Healthy Lives. Healthy Planet. is the platform that guides these brands on the journey. Together with suppliers, retailers, consumers and dental professionals, Crest and Oral-B are unlocking the life-changing power of healthy oral habits.